Rockwell Collins UK hosts ‘Introduction to Engineering’ days for local schoolchildren
On 14th and 15th June Rockwell Collins hosted two ‘Introduction to Engineering’ days at our simulation & training centre of excellence in Burgess Hill, UK.
This was part of a company-wide diversity and inclusion initiative to encourage more young people to enter roles related to science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM).
A total of 36 Year 8 students from Oakmeeds Community College, St. Pauls Catholic College, Warden Park Academy, Oathall Community College, Downlands Community School and Chailey School attended during the two days They spent time learning about the field and scope of engineering, what we do in our Burgess Hill facility and took part in a number of hands-on engineering-related activities. Students constructed a low cost ‘smartphone’ projector, created some virtual synthetic environment objects to view on the image generators, and built a large spherical section film mirror – all key elements of a complete visual system and examples of the type of work we do. They also had the opportunity to fly the F-35 simulator visual.
Initial feedback has been excellent. The students found the activities interesting and engaging and we are confident we have inspired some of them to consider engineering as a serious career option.
Some quotes from the students:
- “Altogether it was absolutely awesome”!!
- “I had an amazing time”
- “It was perfect. I had one of my best days ever”
- “Thank you again for the amazing day I had at Rockwell Collins. I am now considering engineering as a career in the future”
- “All of the staff were kind, helpful and explained what we had to do well. Overall it was a very enjoyable day and a great experience. If I had the chance I would definitely go again”
- “It was an absolute honour to be invited to go to Rockwell Collins. I really enjoyed my time there and it opened me up to a new job opportunity (for when I am old enough!)”
- “I enjoyed the projector I made. It is incredible and I am able to use it in my room. Now I don’t have to get a TV! Hooray!”
- “I made some new friends there and was so happy to be there, thank you for this wonderful day out with these wonderful people. I hope to come visit again”
- “I tried two different simulators and they were amazing!”
- “The staff were really helpful and it was really fun! I had a really good day and enjoyed every bit.”
- “Before I went to Rockwell Collins I wanted to do something in Engineering and my visit really inspired me. I had lots of fun and learnt lots too. The modelling was cool, the simulators were awesome and the mirror making was really interesting. I loved every bit and I hope we can do more visits like that in the future!”
- “I had an amazing and educating day”
- “It was a thrilling day and really inspired me to become an engineer”
- “The experience has inspired me to be a mechanical engineer when I leave school”