UK Quality Mark for Plumpton College
The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) has confirmed the quality and standards of provision at Plumpton College (the College) following its review in May.
A team of QAA reviewers visited the College and judged that its academic standards,
the quality and enhancement of its student learning opportunities, and the quality of information about its learning opportunities all meet UK expectations.
The review identifies three examples of good practice at Plumpton College:
- the extensive support for research and scholarly activity that informs teaching and learning practice
- the many and varied mechanisms which engage students as partners in the assurance and enhancement of their educational experience
- the effective, regular and systematic course monitoring and review processes which assure and enhance student learning opportunities.
The review made a number of recommendations for improvements to Plumpton College, including:
- clarify the availability of formal independent advice for students wishing to complain or appeal
- adopt a more strategic approach to the management and approval of work placements to ensure effective learning opportunities for students.
Jeremy Kerswell, Principal, Plumpton College, said: ‘The College is delighted to have received this outcome from our recent inspection. We pride ourselves on offering a range of higher education courses that meet the needs of the land-based sector. We are particularly pleased that recognition has been made for the quality of our student learning opportunities and the investment the College has made in developing research activity.’
QAA’s Higher Education Reviews are carried out by experts from other universities and colleges. Every review team includes a student reviewer, because QAA believes that students should be partners in the quality assurance of their education.
The team that reviewed Plumpton College comprised Kevin Kendall (QAA), Dr Fiona Tolmie (University of the West of England, Bristol) and Rhys Jenkins (student reviewer, Cardiff University).
A successful review means that the College can display the QAA Quality Mark, indicating to UK and international students that it meets national requirements for standards and quality.