Posted on 23rd April 2018
Mid Sussex District Council will soon be launching our Microbusiness Grant Scheme for 2018/19 following the success of last year’s scheme. The launch date for the scheme is on the 25th April, this is when the online application opens and businesses will be able to apply. This scheme allows businesses of fewer than 10 employees to apply for grants of up to £2000 in match funding for projects allowing them to develop and grow their business. £1500 of grant funding is also available to support the hiring of an apprentice.
Grant funding for Micro-businesses – Guidance Note
Summary of the funding
– Funding of up to £2,000 is available for projects that will help micro-businesses grow, however must be matched by the same contribution from the business – Funding of £1,500 is available to assist micro-businesses with employing an apprentice – A total of £72,000 is available for allocation.
– Only businesses with fewer than 10 employees, and located in the district, are eligible – Businesses must be properly constituted and able to provide evidence of this (such as accounts, VAT registration number (if applicable), copy of Companies House documentation, evidence of registration as a sole trader) – Projects must be things that will contribute towards the growth of the business and not to cover the costs of “business as usual” – Only one application can be made per business – A due diligence review will be undertaken for each business making an application.
– Applications will require the following information: – Confirmation of eligibility criteria – Confirmation of match funding – Description and cost of the proposed project – Description of timescale for the proposed project – Description of benefits to be delivered by the proposed project.
– Applications can be submitted at any time through an on-line application form (see link below)- The Cabinet Grants Panel will meet monthly to consider applications that have been received – Applicants will receive an acknowledgement of their application on receipt and be advised at which meeting their application will be considered – Following consideration of applications, applicants will be informed of the outcome within 1 week.
– Projects will be required to demonstrate how they deliver one or more of the following benefits:
– Wider outreach – the ability for the project to develop a wider customer base, examples include the development of IT systems or the increase in scale at which the business operates at.
– New business lines – any aspects of the project that lead to the creation of additional services that the business provides, such as new products or a wider range of services.
– More employees – relating to any new sustainable employment that the grant will provide the business, either directly or indirectly through growth. We also strongly support the hiring of an apprentice.
– Community benefit – whether the project delivers benefits to the community such as the promotion or delivery of community events or local charity work.
"If Carlsberg did networking they would do it the BHBPA way. Each event is packed with great ideas, thought provoking presentations and fun. As a small business we feel supported and part of the community. We have built friendships and business relationships and there is always plenty of advice on hand to benefit us all so don’t hesitate to join whatever the nature of your business. "
"Since joining BHBPA we have found it to be a dynamic and vibrant members’ organisation, with excellent, regular and informative meetings.
Peter Liddell does a first class job in ensuring that members’ interests are aired and addressed.
"“Sutton Winson have been members of the BHBPA for around 7 years. We have found it a great way to keep in touch with Burgess Hill businesses and to meet with likeminded people. It’s not just another “networking” group, as it tackles the real issues and gets things done”"
"“I can’t speak highly enough of the BHBPA. As a small local business we feel very much part of a community and thoroughly enjoy the annual exhibition and meetings throughout the year. Over the years we have built fantastic working relationships with many BHBPA members and every meeting and event offers us opportunities to work with more. This is networking at its best! ” "